Sunday, April 15, 2012

Ramblings About Choral Arrangements

At last year's LCWM choir concert, I arranged Uncle Kraker's "Follow Me" for my guys group, Legàcy (yes, the accent is necessary). This year, I've been a lot busier with arrangement for the pop concert, which is Disney themed. For Legàcy, I arranged a 4-song medley/mashup/whatever of "chill" music, including Travie McCoy's "Billionaire", Bruno Mars's "Count on Me", Jason Mraz's "I'm Yours", and Bill Withers's "Lean on Me". The song is written in TBB, which for those of you who aren't music-savvy, stands for Tenor-Baritone-Bass, meaning there are three harmony parts; I am the tenor, Isaac Schultz and Justin Hruby are the baritones, and Sam Vetch is the bass. Nearly everyone who I've shown the arrangement to is excited to see it performed. I also arranged "I Just Can't Wait to Be King" from The Lion King, also in TBB. That will be sung by all the guys in the choir. Also, for our Chamber Choir, I arranged "Circle of Life" a capella (without piano). It's technically SATB (Soprano-Alto-Tenor-Bass), but three of the parts split to really make it SSAATTB. I intended to get that done in one weekend, but it turns out writing seven parts is harder than three. Who knew?
So yeah, if you're planning on going to the concert in May, keep an ear out for those three songs. If this article seems random, it's because it is. I just felt like writing something, and this was the first thing that came to mind.

No comments: